"Hey! I heard that Singapore is a great place for a great future! It can change our lives!"
"Yeah! Heard about it too! Let's go!"
It's most likely due to this talk which has led to an unending string of foreigners coming to Singapore to seek their future. Unfortunately, this news isn't exactly well received by Singaporeans. Instead, many are actually against it.
"When I step into a train carriage, I don't want to see India or China, I want to see Singapore!"
"Stop them from coming in! Do you want us to show prejudice to them before you start listening, Mr Prime Minister?"
That's the talk in Singapore. And I understand the worries which Singaporeans have if there was an influx of foreign workers. The first worry is that they will take up our jobs. Especially with a recent economic crisis and the sudden plunge in the stock market a few days ago, people are fearing for their jobs and are afraid that they would not be able to earn enough money to support their family. Well, some people don't even have a job! They are unemployed and is already having much trouble finding for one. And what happens when foreign workers step onto our shores? They simply exaggerate the entire issue! They come in, increase the competition for jobs, and eventually, since foreign workers are sometimes cheaper, they get employed instead of Singaporeans! All the jobs are taken up by foreign workers and none are left for Singaporeans.
Some argue that these jobs which foreign workers take up are jobs which Singaporeans would not want. I do agree with this to a certain extent. What jobs do foreign workers take up? They take up jobs such as manual labour, moving of bricks from one point to another, cleaning the toilets in a shopping mall. These are jobs which Singaporeans are unwilling to take up even if they were given the opportunity to. Why? Because many believe we are well-educated and should be putting our skills to full use by finding a better job. So to be able to actually enjoy this convenience that we receive, we have to thank these foreign workers! However, there is more and more foreign workers who are getting jobs which Singaporeans have considered applying for! For instance, being a cashier/waiter at Cafe Galilee in libraries, or serving at the counter at Berrylite. This was just some examples I found from a single trip to Whitesands Mall in Pasir Ris. There are foreign workers getting such jobs which pay well relative to that of manual labour. Thus, foreign workers actually are competing with Singaporeans for jobs!
Another worry which Singaporeans have over an influx of foreign workers is the dilution of the Singapore Identity. These foreign workers who come in often do so just to earn money. They have no Singapore spirit, no sense of belonging to this country, and only see Singapore as a gigantic ATM machine where they can earn money easier. Singaporeans are thus upset over how the strong sense of belonging is going to be diluted simply due to these new additions to the population. However, let's stop here and question? Do Singapore even have an identity in the first place? Perhaps its our multi-cultural society which we take pride in. But even so, do we have a proper Singapore Identity? In my opinion, I believe not. It has been the talk of the country the past few years and up till now, we never once came close to answering the question. Perhaps we could stop and think first before blaming it on foreign workers.
No matter what, it seems that foreign workers are here to stay. That's unless our government finds another solution to solve the problem of an aging population and find Singaporeans who are willing enough to take up low-paying jobs. But all I can say is change your perspective Singaporeans! Perhaps one day you'll find that they actually do play a huge part in building this island we call home.
Dear Raphael,
ReplyDeletePersonally, I have no grudge against foreign workers. However, I do understand the concerns foreign workers bring when there is an influx of them into our country. There is a distinction we need to make between foreign workers and foreign talents. In my opinion, foreign talents are essential for the development and progress of an economy in every country, especially a country like Singapore with a small pool of specialised talents. On the other hand, foreign workers provide manual labour, most prominently as construction workers and domestic helpers. We have to engage in the foreign pool because we have a relatively low workforce, a direct result from the aging of our aged population, and the declining fertility rate over the years. An aging population is a problem every country has to face and is only a matter of time before the government is forced into making a decision on how to solve the problem, be it to encourage the birth of babies, or to increase the population through immigration.
The government has attacked this problem from both ways. Firstly, baby bonuses are given to couples who give birth to babies. For example, There is a cash gift of $4000 for for the 1st and 2nd child, and a cash gift of $6000 for the 3rd and 4th child. This is to encourage couples to give birth to more babies. However, I feel that the government has not done enough in this field, as can be seen from the continuous dropping fertility rate, with the most recent one at 1.16. The government can consider implementing more measures to encourage the birth of babies, like maternity leave and paternity leave for couples who have babies. On the other hand, the government can be said to have done an excellent job in bringing in foreigners, with 40.7% of our 5.08 million population.
As for the dilution of the Singapore identity, my take on the issue is that we have to welcome these foreigners with open arms, and allow them to adapt and blend into our society, so that they will be able to understand our local culture and practices, with the hope of forging a common identity and spirit with these foreigners (both foreign workers and talents).
Regards,
Ivan
Hi Raphael,
ReplyDeleteFrankly, I think that foreign workers in Singapore are fine. I feel that the problem lies in the number of workers in Singapore. As Ivan said, Singapore actually needs foreign workers to expand its economy. Singapore simply does not have enough talent. However, the current problems mentioned by you are caused by too many foreign workers.
I think that it is also important to ask, why are employers choosing foreign workers over Singaporeans? Are Singaporeans any less competent over jobs like cashiers? No. I think the reason is that foreign workers ask for less pay, complain less and are generally more hardworking. I don't think that Singaporeans should blame foreign workers for losing out on jobs before thinking carefully about the reasons why. Employers are not biased against Singaporeans, it is just good business.
I also think that the second problem is minor. What is Singapore's "National Identity"? I agree with you that Singapore does not have one. Plus, I see no link between diluting our national identity and foreign workers. Studies have already shown that more and more teenagers want to move to other countries. I think this national identity complaint is just an excuse to spite foreigners.
I think that Singaporeans need to accept that foreigners are now as much a part of Singapore as Singaporeans are, and be more accepting. I think that while foreigners do cause certain problems in Singapore, there have been appropriate steps taken out to help solve the problems.
Nice post Raphael :)
Cheers,
Kenneth
Dear Raphael,
ReplyDeleteI think that what Singaporeans are so afraid of is not really foreign workers, but instead foreign talent. Of course, they don't mind having foreign workers helping them sweep their void deck, or construct their buildings, but what they do mind is foreign talent taking up jobs which Singaporeans could also have taken up.
I also agree with Kenneth - the reason why employers prefer foreign talent is that because they are cheaper. With the higher standard of living in Singapore, Singaporeans of course demand a higher pay. However, I believe that the government has tried to counter this problem. I believe that there is now a rule that employers have to provide a valid reason for hiring a foreign talent over a Singaporean, for example, if that foreign talent had more merits, or had certain skills that Singaporeans are lacking.
Regards,
Chong Kai En, 2i106
P.S. It's "exacerbate" not "exaggerate", the third word of your eighth line in your fourth paragraph.